Green Lentil Chili/Soup Recipe
Green Lentil Chili Ingredients:
- 2 Small Roma Tomatoes or 1 Large Tomato
- *1/2-1 Hatch Chile (Seeds Removed)
- 1/2-3/4 White or Yellow Onion
- 1 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 Tbsp Shiitake Mushroom Powder
- 2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- **6 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Green Lentils (rinsed)
Let’s Get Started!
- Dice the tomato and onion and set aside. Next cut Hatch Chile in half and remove seeds. Then dice the hatch chile.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil in a pot big enough to hold 6 or more cups of water. and add in tomato, onion, and chili. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add in Onion, Garlic, Cumin, and Mushroom powder, along with the salt. Stir well and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of water and bring to boil.
- Sort through Green Lentils and remove “extra” grains that may be in the mix. Rinse the lentils and add to boiling broth.
- Bring broth back to boil and then simmer and cover with lid. Let simmer for 45 – 60 mins.
If you tried making this green lentil soup/chili, I’d love to see it. Please tag me online or use the hashtag #MermaidGoesVegan so that I can see your delicious creations. Enjoy!
*Want to make it spicy, I would. Add a Jalapeño with seeds.
**You can add more water to make a soup otherwise, the water will evaporate a bit and create a more chili like consistency. Make sure to taste broth for flavor when adding more water and add more seasonings accordingly.