My Daily Green Juice Recipe
Recently I pulled out my old Breville Juicer that had been put away and collecting dust since 2012! I was just as excited as I was when we first purchased it. Back then I was on a health craze that took me on a more raw diet yet still consuming animal products. I felt great but at some point, I fell off the wagon. Fast forward to 2018, almost 3 years vegan, and on a new health journey. On October 1st I decided to incorporate one daily green juice to start making better healthier choices each day.
It has almost been an entire month and I noticed a few things change with myself and my surroundings.
- I buy more organic fruits and veggies.
- I no longer crave and drink coconut milk lattes everyday.
- Raw food is more appealing to me now.
- I love drinking green juices everyday.
- I visit farmer’s markets once a week.
- Buying organic fruits and veggies has become a hobby.
Who knew just having ONE green juice a day would have so many positive benefits for me?! So with that being said, I’d like to share how I make my daily green juice that is tasty and packed with all the benefits of juicing dark leafy greens, herbs, and vegetables.
Thanks to @benevolent_blizz, I feel like I can’t go wrong when throwing together a green juice. Here is what he recommends for a “broad spectrum multivitamin” type of green juice:
Green Juice Base:
- 1-2 bunches of any dark leafy greens (Red Kale, Curly Kale, Dino Kale, Swiss Chard, Rainbow Chard, Collard Greens, Dandelion greens)
- 2-3 pieces of Cucumbers
- 1-2 bunches of Herbs (Cilantro, Parsley, Dill)
- 2-3 inch pieces of Ginger
- 1 Fennel
- 1 head of Purple Cabbage
- 1-2 beets
- 1-2 Oranges, Limes, or Lemons (half peeled)
Sweetener (any sweet fruit of choice):
- 2-3 Honey Crisp Apples (any sweet apples, even Granny Smith Apples)
- Half of Pineapple
With this basic ingredient list, I’ve been making delicious green juices that I didn’t think were possible. You would think the juice would taste like a variety of grasses but it’s amazing how a bit off apples, an orange, and a bit of pineapple can do to “mask” those flavors. Especially since I hate the smell and taste of cilantro, yet I add this herb when not using parsley. It’s very enjoyable.
Every morning I make a green juice for two, which makes about 6-8 cups of juice:
- 2 bunches of Lacinato Kale (Curly Kale, Red Kale)
- Half a bundle of Herbs (Cilantro, Parsley)
- A quarter bundle of Dandelion greens
- 2-3 inch piece of Ginger
- 1 stock of Celery or 2-3 Cucumbers
- 2 Citrus fruits, half peeled (Oranges, Lemons, Limes)
- 2-4 Honey Crisp Apples (or any sweet red apple)
- Half a Pineapple*
*If my daughter opts for a green juice, I add more fruit to sweeten it further.
I encourage you to make a green juice today. Follow the basic ingredient list above and start making a juice that is tailored to your taste buds without comprising all the healthy benefits. Cheers! Drink up and let me know how you like to make your delicious and nutritious green juice.